The Fulcrum - An Excerpt from The Decade

"Being blind isn't being handicapped. Not actualizing your potential due to a physical defect is being handicapped"

My name is Jacques Belmonte and it has been over a year since I was incarcerated in this prison cell with no food and no access to the outside world. I have been spending my time talking to the walls and playing naughts and crosses with the shadows. The rest of my time is spent hearing the ocean outside the only real-world access I have, my cell window. This place smells of moss and the salty sea air only amplifies its putrid stench. I haven't seen another living being for a year now any my only gauge is the sunlight that comes through my ceiling once a day and leaves me for other places far across the globe as darkness ushers me into night.

I had befriended a rat about two months back but my dying need for blood has led to its untimely demise. The meat never really fascinated me as I have never been like my other brethren who dine on the flesh of most things they kill. I had spent the first three months of my stay here looking for ways out but every attempt I had made simply resulted in me injuring myself even more than I was before I made my way into this eternal prison. My captors seem to take pleasure in knowing the weakness of every vampire I have met and have since marked this cell with special incantations to keep me at bay. While this would ordinarily not bother me, the one thing that does is that the people who put me here spent over a century playing comrades to me in my quest to find the one responsible for making me this way.

There are a few things I have gauged about my cell. I am certainly near a very large water mass for I hear the waves hitting the walls outside me. I have also ascertained that there is a port of some kind in the distance as I hear boats come and go every 5 months or so. Whether I am not the only inmate here however, is a piece of information that I have no ascertained in my time here. Either the other inmates here are very quiet or there are none at all.

I have not had a single visit since they put me here and I do not expect one anytime soon. I have studied my cell with extreme patience to find structural flaws but my search has been futile for even if I did find one, I cannot touch the walls that surround me. It is as this thought runs through my mind that I am disturbed by a sound that I have not heard in a long time, the sound of water from behind me. I have no light and am slowly going blind but that can all change once I get out of here and find some blood. As I probe in the darkness of night, I feel the coolness of the ocean water at my feet and smile at the predicament of this cell. The water is slowly seeping into my cell as this building must be at sea-level now.

I sit in the middle of my cell as the water starts seeping into my prison. It won't be long before this place starts filling with water and under normal circumstance any human would simply see this as a reason to get to higher ground. But I am simply preparing for the one moment that will decide the length of my stay in this place and the amount of energy I need to put into the one act that will free me from this hell.

I slowly rid my mind of all my time spent here as it is now pointless. The water will rise and when it does, I have a few moments in which I need to hit the wall with everything I have left to dislodge one stone. If one comes lose, their world as they know it will end ...

Music Listened to while writing this post - Walking in the sun - Travis
Mood - Vengeful

0 comments: