Apple iPod/iPhone Update 2.0.1

Today, Apple decided to launch a new iPod update 2.0.1 and to be honest I am actually downloading it as I write this blog. The buzz around the forums for iPod is that the firmware upgrade actually made the keyboard better and did speed up the backup facility on the iPod (Nice). However, some people have complained that it ate their applications ( I haven't jail-broken my iPod yet so I really can't comment here). 


All in all a few things I would like to know that Apple likes to do

- Why do they release their updates on Tuesdays? To beat the Monday rush? Hehe
- Why the F do they always put the entire firmware upgrade in a single 250 MB file. Ever heard of partial downloads and upgrades? Must be some kind of security/backup +restore thing.
- Why doesn't the damn thing allow me to update my iPod via the iPod itself. I mean if I am roaming around on Wireless and find the update through the App Store I should be able to just update the damn thing that way.
- Why doesn't Apple have an iPod Kiosk at stores where users can jack their iPods in for a price (if you haven't purchased an update) and just update it there. Seems like a nice feature to give customers that are doing valid updates and not the kind that go from jail-broken iPods to updated machines
- Why doesn't Apple put some Flash in the Mobile version of Safari. I think its long due but then again it might just be me. I feel the doors to interactive usage of the touch screen/accelm will get much much better and people can start writing webapps to take advantage of this (oops did i leak out the reason why they haven't done it already? hehe)

All said and done, I will be getting this update because I am the kind of guy who puts faith in the company I purchase my products from and like to be able to walk into any Apple store if I have a problem and say 'look here my device does not work and I'd like you to fix it' rather than run back home restore my iDevice and come back asking them to fix it.

I hope the boys at Apple did some magic this time because so far I have been impressed lets see what the new update brings

iPod device that was lying around silently awaiting its new upgrade - iMonkey
Music listened to while writing this blog - Nothing
Website for iPod referencing - www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

0 comments: