Medicine in 2008

I can say with absolute assurance that modern medicine has never really let me down when its come to dispatching a cure for anything ranging from a common cold to a viral fever. However, where modern medicine succeeds, the practitioners have failed. What do I mean by this? Well a few weeks back I went to a doctor in Mysore to talk to him about a problem I have had ever since I was a little child, my sinus (sometimes I wish this word had a more evil tone to it).

I happily poured out any information that was asked of me and with absolute trust in the good doctor I even said that I would take the medication and left his office that day. What happened after that is a lesson in both humility and my ever dying concept of trust. I learned a long time ago that keeping your mouth shut was probably the best way to never deal with your problems no matter how big. Simply shut your mouth and breathe in a few times, that seems to solve the problem. But why have we side-tracked from the story? Let's jump right back.

My girlfriend and me were talking sometime after the weekend visit to Dr. Quack and she told me that he went and told her parents about my medical condition and what he thought the problem was. Now, ordinarily I would not be bothered by something so trite but what really did bother me was that he was worried but he didn't want to tell me. It's not like my life was in any danger or that I was so ill that I would stop breathing one day. I pondered over it and the only answer I could come up with was that Dr. Quack is actually a business man. He cannot propagate his business unless his product is very good and the market is very client-rich or he spreads fear and gets his clients that way. Either way actually makes my stomach churn because modern medicine and Dr. Quack are like oil and water. There have been cases of lawsuits for people breaking the doctor-client privilege (Yes, I know I am in India).

So, what's the answer to my confusion?

- Dr. Quack no longer has access to me or can offer me any medical advice
- I do not take medical advice from anyone except a doctor
- Should I choose to expire due to lack of trust I do not blame anyone else except myself because modern medicine didn't fail me the stupid doctors that practice it did
- I have since flushed all the medication given to me by that Quack down the toilet
- I will continually lie about my health to everyone close to me because lets be honest, they don't need to worry about my health and I don't want them to lose sleep over it either

Please remember that this quack is one in a million and there are doctors out there doing things for humanity that I can only hope to do in my entire lifetime. People who have given up the customary luxuries afforded by this profession to be bigger than what they set out to be and save us from diseases and make the world a better place. I would mention the good doctor's name but that is a pointless venture and leads to nothing but ill-will which I do not want to spread.

Trust in Modern Medicine. It's even more powerful than Modern Religion (WOOT!!!)

Mood while writing this blog post - Angry
Music listened to while writing this post - Metallica - Hollier than Thou

0 comments: